Thursday, October 17, 2013

Sister Missionary Packing List

Hey everyone! I know I have been kind of, okay, really MIA lately as far as the blog goes...and I apologize! I promise to write on a more frequent basis, I plan on making a post soon after this one, so don't get your undergarments in a bunch! However, I have been thinking oodles about the mission, and I remember how frustrated I was trying to figure out what I REALLY needed to get and purchase for the mish. They tell you 6-8 outfits, but really sisters...do they REALLY mean 6-8 outfits, and how are you supposed to survive off of that? So Im going to break it down and tell you what you really need, and if you're going to the MMM then you just got even luckier, you dog, you! Also remember, each mission is different and so the needs of each mission are different. I served in a cold weather mission that got very hot and humid in the summer, so my list mirrors the needs of that. So take this as a general guideline, hope it helps and happy packing! (:






Study Supplies:
-scriptures & a scripture case (seriously, get a scripture case, I didn't and it was annoying and then i'd occasionally and accidentally drop my scriptures, which we all know for each set of scripture dropped adds 10 lbs to your future husband, so if you drop your quad..thats an added 40 pounds, nobody got time fo' dat!)
-small PMG, also they give you a free large PMG in the MTC, GRAB IT. Although its bulky, I can promise you will want it for personal/companionship study in the mornings.
-patriarchal blessing
-4 Generation Pedigree Chart
-Personal Journal
-Study Journal
-Pens
-pencils (plans change, you don't want to be marking up all over your planner in a pen)
-Black sharpie, mark your clothes!
-post it notes (great to write out lessons and they are perfect size for your planner) 
-colored sticky notes (if you're an organizational whiz, you'll want this because you can color code each lesson in your scriptures) I didnt do this, but there were moments where I highly considered it.
-colored pencil marker
-stationary; envelopes, stamps

**I recommend TWO suitcases, instead of 3. Its a pain in the airport and in your apartment. however, make sure to bring a duffel bag for when you go on exchanges.

Clothing:
-6-8 outfits, seriously! I overpacked. (I'll explain in further detail down below)
-3 flats (black, white, and whateva' you like!), 1 pair of sneakers (pday and working out), and boots/ snow boots. You do NOT need to buy the expensive & not so cute clog like shoes that people encourage you to. I got my flats from sketchers and they worked perfectly and I got 3 pair for less than the price of one of those clog like shoes from sister missionary mall. Nor would I recommend high heels, you can if they are conservative, but I wouldn't recommend them.
-socks, regular socks for working out and the socks you wear with flats..trust me, you will want them, get nude and black.
-2 pairs of black tights
-2 pairs of exercise clothing, no this does NOT include tight spandex, you're a missionary.
-Pday clothing; 1 pants and 2 shirts
-a hoodie
-PJs
-cap sleeve undergarments (not meant to be worn alone, nor allowed to be) but they are great under shirts, get black and white. 
-garments (10-15 pair)
-Scarves, winter headbands, gloves
-A winter coat and a light jacket for fall-ish winter. 
-4-5 cardigans, my most worn ones were: gray, yellow, blue, tan/white. You have to wear a cardigan or a dress jacket to ALL meetings; i.e. church, zone & district meetings, interviews, baptisms, etc.
-Accessiories, keep jewelry simple and get a simple watch, watches should not be white.
*I would get 6 skirts; plain but fun colors. I wouldn't go all out with prints like I did because it limits the versatility of it. 
make sure to get a: black pencil skirt (but not too tight, youll be walking all day, I got mine from Target and it worked great), a dress, and a maxi skirt (cant be any longer than your ankles). Don't be afraid of the basic gray missionary skirt, you will end up loving it because it goes with so much. Also, you will want to try and get skirts with an elastic band, theyre just more comfortable. Second, if you find a skirt with pockets, you'll love it all that much more. Finally, I know its a rule, but some sisters overlook it, make sure your skirt covers your knees when sitting, you will feel more comfortable that way.
*I would bring 8-10 shirts..and I mean shirts that you KNOW will match ALL of your skirts or the majority of them. I probably wore my stripped shirts the most as you can see below. Also I would get a collared dress shirt..I got a light blue one, it just looks nice and you can wear it with mostly anything, but make sure its comfortable and not stiff feeling. As far as shirts go..If you have plain skirts, then you're more open to fun/different shirts..Just make sure they coordinate with your skirts and they are durable and comfortable. Do NOT get that sheer thin stuff, it will rip and you will not be happy. Make sure that the shirts you get look good tucked into a skirt because that is how you will be wearing them. Also no cap sleeves, its not appropriate for a missionary.

Where I got the majority of my mission clothes:
Stores: Walmart, Target, Mikarose, Asos.com, ShopRuche.com, Modcloth.com. Also don't be afraid to check out your local thrift stores, seriously. 



Personal:

-2 towels and a wash cloth, don't bother with a microfiber towel, they're expensive and you would only use it in the MTC, not worth it.
-bedding
-blanket
-makeup, the funniest part of your MTC experience will be your first sunday in relief society, they go over make up guidelines and they encourage you to wear make up and I do too. You're representing Jesus Christ, don't do it looking like you rolled out of bed!
-toothbrush, toothpaste, tongue scrubber, and floss, ACT mouthwash (:
-shampoo&conditioner
-feminine hygiene products
-deodorant
-lotion
-soap
-band aids and tape for blisters
-lint roller
-shaver
-face wash and face lotion
-hair brush and round brush
-blow dryer and straightener
-hair clips
-Chapstick
-nail kit, if you're bringing nail polish...keep it simple colors, like light pinks, nudes, etc.
-hair scrunchies and bobby pins
-dry shampoo
-medicine; if you have any prescription medicine or anything outside of the norm of ibuprofen or tylenol, call up your mission home and ask if it is allowed before you take it.

Miscellaneous:
-Purse, make sure to get a good purse, backpacks are no longer allowed. I got my purse from macys for $50. Well worth it, the brand is Tyler Rodan..it has plenty of pockets to put your wallet, camera, pens and pencils, maybe some make up, your planner, mints (because gum is NOT allowed) etc. The biggest thing was that the strap was sturdy. Heres a picture of my bag, It was probably my favorite, most used purchase for the mission:
-photo album(s), I made mine off of prinstagram.com..if you use instagram then this is perfect..seriously I got the mini photo albums made and they are PERFECT. 
-lanyard
-umbrella
-flashlight
-camera and flash drive/memory sticks
-cortizone or anti itch cream
-insect repellant
-rice/corn bag heating pad
-alarm clock
-laundry bag

As for the MTC; you get like 7 bucks a week to use in the bookstore, which is enough. I would recommend you get the following things: the clip for your badge, you will regret it if you dont, a mission T-shirt (for us state side missionaries they often run out or dont have them..so if they do, grab it while you can!), the Hi-Glide high lighters..they really are amazing for your scriptures and dont bleed through as much as normal high lighters
Also, if youre put on West Campus, dont be bummed..honestly be excited, its better then the main campus (yes, I spent time on both) and the food is better too!

*Also in regards to your bike, if you're in a bike mission, spend the extra 20 bucks to get a basket on your bike, it is killer to wear your purse or to figure out how to wrap it around your handle bars, plus it will often times cut up the bottom of your bag..and again, nobody got time fo' dat, especially a missionary!

*Important* Pack a willingness to serve with all your heart, might, mind and strength, to love and leave your companion better than you found her, a desire to act with 100% obedience, to love everyone, to never fear to open your mouth and share the gospel,  and to always have the faith to try.

If you have any further questions about clothing or grooming guidelines, comment below or just check out the website that The Church provides for you, it is great and tells you everything you need: https://missionary.lds.org/dress-grooming/sister/?lang=eng




Thank you for serving! (:




all my love,
post signature



22 comments:

  1. This is amazingly helpful. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect for me because I'm going to Lubbock, Texas! I've seriously been stuck on what I really wanted to pack and this is so perfect. Thanks a ton! I bet you were a great missionary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I hope you enjoy your mission in Texas!

      Delete
  3. I just got called to the Minnesota Minneapolis Mission! I will be referring to this list, so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a friend of mine was called to minnesota minneapolis too! maybe you will know her , she's will becoming 'sister Ramirez ' from Mexico tijuana and she is leaving at january 21 :)

      Delete
    2. I hope you're having the best of time! enjoy it, and welcome to the MMM!

      Delete
  4. Thank you ! its really helpful I just checking if my list is complete ,because I'm leaving this 7th january , i love the skirts you posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much Thank you!! really helpful =)

    Greetings from Nicaragua!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how neat! It's so cool to see where people are coming from. You're welcome!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for posting this! I leave for Nagoya, Japan on October 1. A comprehensive list is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I just came across your blog. I leave on my mission in about 2 weeks. I was wondering, why shouldn't we bring a white watch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They asked us not to in the MTC, i'm not sure why. To be honest, I had a white watch…it did get dirty easily (maybe thats why?)

      Delete
  8. This is fantastic! I'm waiting for my call and I have been stressing so much about what to bring and this is perfect! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I hope it helps and congratulations! No matter where you're called to serve, you'll find its perfect for you.

      Delete
  9. Instead of a corn/rice heating pad, is a regular heating pad okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One that plugs into the wall.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, absolutely! I had just figured a rice bag would be smaller to pack around (:

      Delete
  10. This is amazing!! I'm headed to the MMM mission in a month and this is perfect for me! One thing though, what do you recommend as far as boots and a coat? I'll be getting there in March, should I just wait to buy one then?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you you get your super cute yellow skirt?

    ReplyDelete